Saturday, April 7, 2012

Top 5 Favorite Television Show of All Time


Ned

#5 - West Wing
It was good, funny, and quick. You had to be on your game and ready with the rewind to get the references, jokes, and drama.



#4 - Star Trek Next Generation
When nothing else is on, I watch this show. That may not seem like a high compliment, but I know that I have watched every episode of this show at least three times, and I keep on watching. I like to play the game what is wrong with the technology of the 24th century, who hasn't Riker slept with on the ship, and how much more annoy could Tori make this scene.



#3 - 30 Rock
It's not my fault that I have a thing for Tina Fey. She went to school at UVA, which adds something for me as sad as that is, and Alex Baldwin is amazing in every scene, every show, every time. Oh yeah, and other people are funny on the show too.



#2 - Top Gear (BBC)
It's a buddy movie, social commentary, and car show. They blow stuff up, and race, and have a guy in a helmet, and they constantly cause it other pain, and they don't really care. Its just plain better.




#1 - Saturday Night Live
Is it always a good show? No. Is it always going to be funny? No. Does it always have the possibility? Yes. I like that SNL fails, but even when it does it is better than every other show out there. It's live, it's different every week, and yet it's formula remains the same.





Kendall

#5 - Dexter
I'm a big fan of the anti-hero protagonist, and you don't get much more anti-hero than a freaking serial killer.  Dexter makes you care about this murderer and empathize with his killings.  That is supreme storytelling, if you ask me.  Also, I think Michael C. Hall is A+ perfect casting.  The only reason Dex isn't listed higher than 5 on my list is because of lackluster season 3 and anything involving Rita, who I found to be completely annoying.




#4 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Ned ranks SNL #1 on his list because it has the chance to be funny, but I rank Sunny on my top 5 because it is ALWAYS funny.  I guess that's the difference between the two of us -- he likes to roll the dice on a show that lasts an hour and a half, while I like to reliably pack twice the funny into a 30-minute tour de force.  Is there a better character than Charlie Kelly on television right now?




#3 - Eastbound and Down
If Dexter is the ultimate anti-hero, then Kenny Powers is a close second.  This show is like a quote-generating machine.  Listen up you beautiful bitch, 'cause I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.







#2 - Survivor
I tend to love all things Machiavellian.  Survivor is a glossy, glassy network game show, but it has managed to find ways to evolve and advance itself into deeper, darker corners of backstabbing and alliance-forging.  12 years and 24 seasons deep, and I haven't missed a single episode.





#1a - The Sopranos
Spot-on casting, incredible storytelling, impossible to top.  This show paved the way for the revolution of the cable-style hour-long drama, leading directly to the rise of such great shows as Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, Six Feet Under, etc., etc., etc.  It's a long list, and it's the reason we are now experiencing a Golden Age of television.  The Sopranos should really be everyone's favorite show.








#1b - The Walking Dead
I never thought I'd be able to enjoy a show more than I've enjoyed The Sopranos, but The Walking Dead is a real contender.  It combines everything I love about Machiavellian storytelling with the emotional drama of The Sopranos.  Plus, zombies.  It's a spicy enchilada, this show.


No comments:

Post a Comment