Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Top 10 NES Games

Ned


Honorable Mention: Tetris, Tiger Heli, Legacy of the Wizard, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, Super Mario Bros. 2, Strider, Excitebike, Rad Racer, R.C. Pro-Am, Wizards & Warriors


#10 - Tennis
Just a good waste of time game that anyone could play.



#9 - Top Gun

I hated landing on the carrier so much.  I mean you completed the hard ass mission and then die on the deck or can’t refuel.  My uncle, who was a pilot in the Navy, ripped the controller out of the box playing this game.  I hate you Top Gun.



#8 - Solomon's Key

If you claimed to have beaten all 50 levels you are a liar.  Download the ROM now and remember how impossible this game is.  I had a choice of buying this game or Rygar based on only the box.  Still haven’t played that game.




#7 - Silent Service

This was one of the first games where you could openly explorer other areas.  I still don’t think you can beat this game.  It’s as if the designers came up with a good idea one night and then never got around finishing it.






#6 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Far superior to the original Castlevania.  I literally called the Game Tips Hotline ($2.95 / minute) trying to figure out the walk through the wall trick towards the end of the game.  That is to this day the biggest bullshit ever purposely designed into a game.







#5 - Dragon Warrior

Played this game listening to R.E.M.’s Green Album and Coma from GNR on repeat.  Over and over and over again.  I love this game.





#4 - Defender of the Crown

I beat this game during a commercial break while watching the Simpsons in college, and then I played it last week and got my ass crushed.




#3 - Bionic Commando

My buddy Dan won $50 when he beat this game in 35 minutes.  I just wanted to see Hitler’s face explode.




#2b - Mega Man 2

You can’t beat Mega Man 2.  It was the perfect game.  It allows you to choose your path.  You get cool (and lame ass) weapons.  The story is halfway thought out.  In fact it inspired a rock opera

http://videosift.com/video/Megaman-Rock-Opera-Hope-Rides-Alone-the-Protomen





#2a - Life Force

Just one of the best game every.  UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, SELECT, START







#1 - The Legend of Zelda

It is the best.  It came in a gold case which had its own battery.  











Kendall



Honorable Mention: Ice Hockey, Ice Climber, Tecmo Super Bowl (sorry, you just missed the cut), Dr. Mario, Tetris, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Contra, Bionic Commando, Dragon Warrior


#10a - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Bad rap for trying to follow up a Legend (see what I did there?) Still a great, great game. Just re-played it and [finally] beat it on the Wii about a year ago.


This hooker accepts payment in H2O.


#10b - Super Mario Bros. 3
I'm admittedly not a huge Mario fan, but this was by the far the best one ever and deserves some sort of mention. I still think a plumber busting bricks with his head is moronic.


The flying was rad, though.


#9 - A Boy and His Blob
The concept was rad, but the frustrating thing was trying to figure out what each jellybean flavor did to the blob. I had to keep a spiral-bound notebook handy to play this game. But it was an A+ puzzler. I'd say better than Lemmings.


I think licorice turned him into a dildo or something.


#8 - Kid Icarus
It was Zelda II before Zelda II was made. Not sure why these characters never caught on with Nintendo. Eggplant Wizard? C'MON! This was a really, really fun - and HARD! - game.


Turned into a walking eggplant.  Total embarrassment.


#7 - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
King Hippo, 'nuff said.


Looks like some dumbass didn't know to punch the belly.


#6 - Blaster Master
The car could jump, and that blew my freaking mind.


I called the guy inside "small boy."


#5 - Mega Man 2
Ned's wrong, I beat the shit out of this game, multiple times. Metal Blade is one of the best weapons, ever. I want that shit in real life. I want to cut salami with it.


Gimme them blades, bitch.


#4 - Maniac Mansion
I don't know why more people didn't know / love this game. Totally immersive, totally fun, best mystery-type game I've played to this day.


That green tentacle was a character in the game.


#3 - The Legend of Zelda
I feel like it's been a bit over-applauded, so I won't gush over it here. We all know it was awesome.


Wooden sword?  Fuuuuuuuuuuck.


#2 - Metroid
Screw attack, dude. Fucking screw attack. Metroid is still the best side-scrolling action/adventure game with RPG sensibilities. It's a platformer... but it's so much more. I recognized the magic when I was playing it as a kid, and deep in my heart I knew it was a taste of the future of gaming. Metroid was Skyrim two decades before Skyrim.


SCREW ATTACK.


#1 - Final Fantasy
I'd be a God damn liar if I tried to weasel any other game into my top spot. I think I was thinking about fun FF party combinations to try when I was losing my virginity. Four black mages... I dared, did you? Beat the game with that shit.


x4

1 comment:

  1. Great list but I think you have to have Super Mario Bros. 3 at #1. Check out my list at http://www.squidoo.com/top-10-nes-games. I like the mention of Top Gun. That game made me crazy when I was young!

    ReplyDelete